Sunday, September 5, 2010

The Loud Mouth Liberal

As an English major, the majority of my professors have been less conservative than one might expect a BYU professor to be, which is great because I enjoy hearing a little sarcasm and swearing in class. Some of my classmates, however, feel the need to prove their own left-leaning ideals and then get the professor to praise them, or give them A's, or adopt them, or carry them around the JFSB hallways on their shoulders (a feat only a few English professors would actually be capable of...our men are typically not of the broad-shouldered variety--see Male English Major).

If the professor references Obama, there will literally be at least one Noise of Approval. This NOA can be a positive-sounding grunt, a thoughtful "hmm!", or an "mmm-hmmm" one might hear in one of those Tyler Perry movies.

If the professor references the war in Iraq, or any conservative politician, even if he or she has just the slightest bit of disapproval in his or her tone, the LML will laugh so freaking loudly that it will probably suck a year off of your life like that machine in The Princess Bride does.

There seems to be a desperation at BYU to prove one's non-BYU-ness. To prove his or her uniqueness, the LML chooses to shout his or her non-Republican opinions from the peak of Y Mountain, hoping to send Provo into an outrage. Big deal if you're a Democrat. You're still a white, twentysomething Mormon like the rest of us.

5 comments:

  1. Haha! I can just imagine Wickman carrying out armypantsandflipflops on his shoulders!
    Don't make me think about Frank's shoulders. I don't need that frustration in my life.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Haha and I wouldn't have it any other way Becky. And those shoulders...oh those shoulders...

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think I might switch my major now just to be entertained by these infamous LML students... I may get kicked out of the program for laughing too much though.

    ReplyDelete
  4. We can only hope that once out of the college bubble, they will be truly edumacated.

    ReplyDelete